Skip to content
Special Educational Needs & Disability Information, Advice & Support Service

Carers Assessment Guidance

The following information was written by the charity Hft.

Carer’s Allowance is different to a Carer’s Assessment. A Carer’s Assessment is carried out by your local authority, whereas Carer’s Allowance is a benefit provided by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). There are different ways that your assessment can be carried out, for example:

  • an online self-assessment
  • a supported self-assessment with a local carer’s centre
  • a face-to-face assessment with a social worker.

You are entitled to choose the method that works best for you.

Your finances have no bearing on your entitlement to a Carer’s Assessment, and – unlike Carer’s Allowance – there is no set amount of hours that you have to care for an individual; you just have to have an appearance of need for support.

More information about Carer's Assessments

  • Carer’s Assessment information can be found on Carers UK website.
  • Find out about the Care Act 2014 on the Hft charity's website
  • You can also contact the Family Carer Support Service for tips on how to prepare for your assessment on the Hft website.