Skip to content

Working with Health Professionals

Designated Clinical Officers (DCO) and Designated Medical Officers (DMO) are the point of contact for local authorities, schools and colleges seeking health advice on children and young people who may have SEN or disabilities. They can support schools with their duties under the 'Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions' guidance.

Health professionals such as school or specialist nurses and therapists may work directly with your child/young person and advise or train schools and colleges to manage health conditions such as epilepsy and diabetes, or with techniques such as tube feeding.

The government guidance 'Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions' says:

'Governing bodies should ensure that school leaders consult health and social care professionals, pupils and parents to ensure that the needs of children with medical conditions are properly understood and effectively supported.' (Key points, page 4)

The contact details for the Specialist School Nursing Team for Southend can be found on the Eput website.  (Essex Partnership NHS Trust)