Skip to content
Four teenagers thinking about something

Support for Young People

As a young person, you have a right to free information and advice to support your special educational needs or disability.

If you are having problems with your education in school or college, we can give you some support or advice to help sort it out if you:

  • are you a young person under 25
  • live in Southend on Sea
  • have a special educational need or a disability (SEND)

It's usually best to talk to your parents or carers before you talk to us − but you don't have to.

SENDIASS can help you:

  • to say what you would like to happen now and in the future
  • to plan what to say in a meeting so you can share what you think
  • to say how you want your support to work
  • with health or social care problems if they are related to your education

We can:

  • talk to you alone, or with a trusted adult to support you
  • meet you in a place you feel comfortable. This could be at school, or at a local hub or café
  • email you
  • call you on the phone

We won't:

  • take sides or tell you what to do
  • make decisions for you
  • tell other people what you have said

Everything you say to us is private. We will only tell someone what you’ve said if we are worried that someone is being hurt or might be hurt.

You  can contact us to find out how you can be involved in your school or college support.